Ingredients (makes one serving):
- 1 beet
- 3 Tbsp Barcelonia Herbed Cream Cheese
- 1 bunch of ruccula
- A splash of olive oil
- Steam the beets or skip this step if you bought pre-cooked, vacuum-packed ones from the supermarket.
- Cut the beet into thin slices.
- Spread a slice of beet with the cream cheese and cover it with another slice as if you were making a sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches on a plate with a handful of ruccula as a garnish.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil to finish it off – enjoy!
Nutritional benefits of this dish:
Beets: Beets are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids have many beneficial properties: they are antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, anti-microbial and anti-carcinogenic. Beets also contain betaine, a natural detoxifier of the liver and bile. Due to its high folic acid content it’s also considered beneficial for pregnant women. Another positive quality of beets is that they have a low calorie count while at the same time being sweet and full of fiber, which makes it very filling and satiating when you want to eat something sugary. Whether it’s raw or cooked, it adds great flavor and color to your dishes.
Ruccula: Ruccula, as well as kale, green cabbage, spinach, and chard are part of the of the family of green-leafed vegetables considered superfoods because of their great nutritional value. They are rich in calcium, folic acid, antioxidants, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, iron, and vegetable proteins. They are also anti-inflammatory and they contain high concentrations of phytochemicals such as lutein, beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene that help regulate vascular pressure and prevent cardiovascular illnesses. And all of that while containing very few calories. Definitely one of the best foods for vegans… and for everyone else for that matter. Speaking of ruccula specifically, eating 2 cups worth day provides us with 20% of our needed vitamin A intake, over 50% of our needed vitamin K, and 8% of our vitamin C, folic acid and calcium.
- Vegan cheese made with almond milk: Barcelonia cheeses are made from almond milk. Most commercial almond milk only contains around 2% almonds but we produce our own with containing much more, 39% actually. If we add the calcium and the magnesium in our veggie cheese with that in the ruccula we satisfy a hefty amount of our needed daily intake. So you have an idea: 100 grams of almonds contain 26% calcium, 100 grams of ruccula 16%, while 100ml of cow’s milt contains 12%. Additionally, our vegan cream cheese is rich in monounsaturated vegetable fats, which help regulate our blood cholesterol levels. Therefore it is great towards having a healthy a heart and preventing cardiovascular illnesses. Visit the following page to find out more about Barcelonia cheeses’ nutritional properties.