In the days leading up to Easter, Catalan bakeries and pastry shops display cakes and chocolate sculptures in all shapes and sizes. Some are so complex that they look like works of art. This tradition is known as the “Mona de Pasqua”, and on Easter Monday families get together to share these elaborate cakes. At Barcelonia we love this tradition and we decided to create our own easy-to-make, vegan version, using our Original Cream Cheese to make the chocolate covering. We bought prepared eggs (making sure they have no milk) and we used vegan sponge-cake. If you’re in a hurry you can also use store-bought cake.
What we wanted to share is our recipe to make the chocolate ganache that covers the cake. It’s usually made with abundant cream (which is milk-based) but our version is vegan-friendly, healthier and just as tasty.
Barcelonia Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup sweetened, dark chocolate chips (with no milk!)
- 2/3 cup Barcelonia Original Cream Cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
Or as an alternative you can now buy a container of Barcelonia chocolate cream cheese. Preparing delicious vegan desserts has never been easier!
- Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl over hot water.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl and when the chocolate has melted add it slowly, folding it in until it combines with a spatula.
- When the chocolate is liquid, add it to the bowl and mix well with creamy cheese with a spatula kitchen.
- Add the coconut oil and the vanilla and mix well.
- Once you have finished adding and mixing all the ingredients let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes and it’ll be ready to use.